Software Engineering Intern
What We’re Building
Selling to government has always been hard, and it’s historically stopped companies from even thinking about this market. But things are changing. A surge of technology companies are rising to the occasion and building products to solve the domestic challenges and national security threats we’re facing today. It’s our job to help them be successful, and we’ve raised from an incredible group of investors + have heavy-hitting national security veterans and technology industry advisors behind us to do it.
We’ve started by building a marketplace that solves the most critical pain point for companies - access to relationships + knowledge & skills to navigate the process. We’re bringing access and transparency to an opaque industry, with the government as the stakeholder that ultimately benefits.
This is just our starting point - we have a big vision for where we go from here. If you’re excited about the intersection of AI and gov/defense, we’re probably for you.
What We’re Looking For
Someone who wants to be the first engineering intern that helps us build our web app. Your work will lay the foundation for our product and you’ll get to see it come to fruition.
You’ll get in on the ground floor and get to work side-by-side with our founding engineers. As we grow, ideally you will too, both in the skills that you acquire as well as responsibilities. Hopefully, there will be opportunities for us to continue working together too!
- You’ll be responsible for building new features for our user-facing web app as well as our internal facing dashboard. You have input on how it’s built, what it looks like, and how it works.
- Understand user needs to build a web platform experience that matches closely
- Help us develop the backend of our web app and internal tools
- Create data visualization and editing interfaces using Retool and SQL
What You've Done That We'd Love
- 2+ years experience coding. Experience building your own side projects and entrepreneurial endeavors is a huge plus.
- Passion for government, govtech, defense/intel, or government contracting. (Though not required.)
Tech Stack Experience
- Postgres (or similar SQL)
- Python (bonus)
- Previous experience with or ability to learn new AI tools and models
Why We Might Love Working Together
- You care about government - We think our work is needed and benefits a system that impacts us all.
- Perseverance and endurance - Hard problems are worth solving, and solving them can take a long time. There is no such thing as exhausting all options, it’s just time to look for new ones.
- Empowerment > micro-management - We believe our job is simply to eliminate roadblocks for team members by equipping them with what they need to accomplish goals; we trust their judgment, skills, and experience from there.
- We’re collaborative and communicate well - Constructive dialogue that takes all viewpoints into account is the only way we get to the right decision. Respect, trust, and complete transparency with each other is critical - keep it all in the open
- You’re really good at what you do… but it speaks for itself - We’re confident in what we bring to the table, but it comes without ego. Being humble is important to us
- You don’t mind change and are comfortable with uncertainty - We’re deliberate about setting goals, but we’re comfortable changing course and crawling through mud to get there. We’re still figuring things out, and that demands being flexible and iterative.
- You like to move fast and have a bias towards action - Our roadmap is directional at this stage - speed and a feeling of urgency is key to prove it out. We expect each other to proactively determine what needs to get done and just go for it. No waiting around.
The Details - Benefits & Structure
- Competitive cash compensation
- We have an office in downtown DC. While we wouldn't expect you to be down here every day, we'd love to have you work with us whenever you're able to!
- Flexible schedule - We all have other things going on in our lives. Doctor visits, kids’ activities, dog walks, take care of it whenever you need to.
- Impact – We have high conviction that our work matters and affects important outcomes. And we take a lot of pride in that. If we don’t fix this, who will?
- Empathy – Our customers’ & users’ problems are our own. We’re grateful for their trust, so we go above and beyond to show it - in both our work and our interactions.
- Straight Hustle - We get stuff done, no matter what it takes.
- Integrity -Transparency and respect comes above all else. It’s non-negotiable.
- Humility – We’re not afraid to admit what we don’t know, and we’re constantly looking for ways to learn and grow.